Friday, December 28, 2007

What Are Those Senators Doing?

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts," stated Will Rogers.


Consider Senator John Kerry, in the midst of a spiraling national debt, social security and medicare crisis, decided to use his position for more important things: to lash out against the NFL Newtwork and demand that the nation be able to watch his beloved Patriots for free across the nation.


Lets see. Social security, medicare, medicaid, exploding debt, sinking dollar, free trade, war on terror, broken borders- not enough to concentrate on apparently. How dare we ask the Senator to concentrate on America's minor issues. After all, what the Senator surely ought to be concentrating on is holding a press conference condemning the NFL Network and demanding that other free stations carry his favorite football team's last game of the season?


Mark Twain quipped, "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."


How idiotic is the following?


Hard-working Americans face a Congress unrelenting in their pursuit to infringe upon the people's rights. Just today the Congress chose to withhold returning refunds to American citizens for an extra thirty days. Why? To draw interest upon the money that is not theirs, of course.


Since when does the Congress of the United States have the right to withhold the extra money you pay to government that belongs to you?


And of course, government has additional plans for your life that involves your bedroom. Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Ted Kennedy have slipped new legislation in to be signed by President Bush. Mercury-laden lightbulbs must, by law, be phased into the homes of all Americans. You wanted the old Thomas Edison lightbulbs? Too bad- its illegal. The liberals want an energy efficient nation. So you are now required to fit mercury laden bulbs in your homes. When they break, call your local environmental company. For only $2000, they will clean up the mess, you aren't supposed to touch.




Barry Goldwater stated, "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution........And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents ``interests,'' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

It was Patrick Henry who cried, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Are we not so sure that a swath of Americans including elected officials would rephrase the Patrick Henry Doctrine:

"Give me entitlement or someone else will!!!"

No comments:

Huckabee on Taxes